Good evening Selby,
Before we get on with the update...please be careful tomorrow. Please remember to designate a driver. The cops know what you're up to! Also, the first official day of Spring is Friday! I believe there may be a chance of a few snowflakes as well. How is that even possible?!
9:30am to 11:30am - Selby Tots
6:30pm to 7:30pm - Zumba
7:00pm to 9:00pm - Key cards and parking stickers (remember we have new ones out!)
7:45pm to 9:00pm - Community Center Reservation
** Feel free to drop off donated Easter eggs during these times. Feel free to set them just inside the door if you arrive during Zumba.
6:30pm to 7:30pm - Yoga
7:30pm t0 9:00pm - Girls Night Out
** This is a special night for Girls Night Out. Usually they meet the 4th Thursday of the month. This month they will the 19th to help fill up Easter Eggs for the Selby Hop-To-The-Beach on 22 March.
** Selby's Hop-To-The-Beach
Sunday, 22 March 10:00am to Noon
Selby will celebrate Easter and the coming of Spring on Sunday, 22 March from 10am to noon. There are a lot of fun activities planned for the day including the popular bubbles and facepainting. We will have the Easter egg hunt at 11am. This year we will have separate areas for Grades 0 through 5th. We are looking for 10 helpers in grades 6+ to help out with the day's events. Helpers will receive a special treat bag. If you have a 6th+ grader that would like to help out, then please email SelbyBay@gmail.com.
I believe that's it for this week!
Hello Selby and welcome to the thaw! Hopefully, we are on our way towards Spring. If you haven’t already, turn all your clocks up an hour. Don’t forget clocks and timers such as the thermostat and water conditioner. Also, this is the perfect opportunity to change out your smoke detector batteries. Make that part of your Daylight Savings Time celebration!
Here is your weekly update for the week of 8 March 2015!
Tuesday, 10 March 2015
Drug Abuse Prevention Townhall (See below)
Zumba (Drop-Ins are welcome at $10)
Yoga (Drop-Ins are welcome at $15)
Selby Band (musically capable? Stop on by and jam!!)
* On Tuesday, 10 March there will be a Drug Abuse Prevention Town Hall. Heroin has been skyrocketing in our county and the majority of our crime comes directly from drug abusers. Select AACo professionals will present valuable information concerning substance abuse such as:
- Prevalence of Heroin and Marijuana
- Underage Alcohol Use
- Useful treatment and prevention strategies
- Perception of risk in youth ages 12-20 in South County
- Question and answer session afterwards
- Sponsored by South County Bridges To A Drug Free Community
* Yoga will begin it’s next session on Thursday, 12 March at 6:30. This session will be 8-weeks with a fee of $100. Drop-ins are available for $15. Register at pranastudio.com
* Selby’s Easter observance - Hop-To-The-Beach - will be held on Sunday, 22 March from 10am to noon. There will be a bunch of fun games, 50/50 raffle, facepainting and the Easter egg hunt! If you would like to donate sweets to the event, then there will be a table set up for drop-off. We will not have a Sign-Up Genius for this event. We are looking for donations of filled Easter eggs for the hunt. If you would like to donate some eggs, then you can drop them off at any community event or in the donation box located in the community center across from the bathrooms by the book rack. In order to not disturb any ongoing events, please place donated eggs on counter by sink in the “kitchen”. Thank you in advance!! Oh!! One more thing!! The Easter egg hunt will be for Grades 6 and below. We need 10 able and willing teens to help out with goings-on at the event. Teen volunteers will receive bunny ears and a treat bag. Please only volunteer teens THAT WILL BE PRESENT at the event. Thanks!
Good icy evening Selby,
We've got quite a mess outside, but if you can get past the scary slipperiness (is that a word?), then you can see the beauty. Everything looks like glass! Please be careful if you have to walk outside. What looks to be just wet, is really ice. Here is the weekly update.
Tuesday, 3 March
SCA Board/Community meeting at 7pm
Wednesday, 4 March
Zumba - 6:30pm
Key fobs and parking stickers (remember, we have new ones) - 7:00pm
Community Reservations - 7:45pm
Friday, 6 March
St. Patrick's Day 1st Friday Happy Hour - 5:00pm
- Please bring an Irish dish to share as we celebrate St. Patrick's Day at the community center. We will also wish Dr. Seuss a quick HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
* Selby Coffeehouse will be open again on Sunday, 8 March. We will be hosting the Strategic Gaming Club and the Blue Ribbon Project. If you were unable to make their Chick-Fil-A Backpack drive, then here is your next opportunity. I will put a list up soon with items you may donate for the backpacks. We will also have community information. Everyone is invited down for some quiet time in the community center. Bring a book or a game. Hot drinks, soda, water and candy concessions will be sold during this time.
* There have been quite a lot of footprints going across Selby Bay. I've actually heard reports of folks pulling sleds across the frozen water. Just a little reminder that there is no safe ice! We have had several water rescues here on the peninsula and the water under the ice is so cold that hypothermia can set in within seconds. Please don't take that chance. Stay off the ice!!
* If you are looking for a great way of getting Selby Bay news, then let me tell ya about two! We do have a Selby Bay blog. Comments are turned off so it is ALL Selby news ALL the time. Better yet, if you go to the blog, then you can "follow by email". This sends you all the posts for one day in ONE email the following morning. No long comment threads. No constant beeping. Just one email in the morning. You can read with your morning coffee! Another great way of getting Selby news is to sign up to Nextdoor. Nextdoor is relatively new, but a very powerful media tool. Nextdoor is private to the neighbors of that community, meaning your residency has to be verified to stay on the site. This is through Nextdoor and not me! Nextdoor has a app so it's really easy to just tap on that to read Selby news! The Selby blog and the Selby Nextdoor are two great ways to get community information!!
Selby Bay Blog - Selbyonthebay.blogspot.com
Nextdoor - www.nextdoor.com
* Lastly, we have had quite a few pups go running around the hood! PLEASE make sure your pet has a collar and tags complete with a working phone number. We have a lot of really nice, kind-hearted animal lovers here in Selby who go out of their way to help out our fuzzy friends. Meet them halfway by giving them a means to find homes. Thanks!
That's it for tonight. Be careful tomorrow morning. It's going to be treacherous. The schools have NOT made a decision yet, but there will be a post here when that decision comes through.
Good morning Selby,
Well, looking outside, it looks like winter isn't quite over yet. Heavy sleet and the roads are a mess. To avoid folks on the roads, I'm going to reschedule the Dr. Seuss birthday celebration for Friday at 5:30pm. That is also our St. Patrick's Day 1st Friday Happy Hour. We can say HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR. SEUSS and then celebrate the luck of the Irish! Hope everyone can make it!!