Good Evening Selby,
I hope everyone is drying out nicely from the storms this weekend. At least today was nice! Here is what is happening this week in Selby!
5:00-5:30 Selby Summer Reading Club
1:00-2:00 Writing Adventure Stories Pt I (for older kids/bring pen & paper)
1:00-2:00 Writing Adventure Stories Pt II (for older kids/bring pen & paper)
1st Friday Happy Hour will be cancelled this month due to the 4th holiday, BUT there is nothing stopping folks from hopping down to the beach to chat with neighbors and enjoy the weather!
4th of July holiday
** I'm going to try to pick up some material and a dow for a Selby banner for the parade on Saturday with the Legion. I will post if I do get something and hopefully I can get some folks to help decorate it.
We will have our children's parade Saturday morning at 9:15am with a line up of 9am. I'm still looking for nominees for this year's King and Queen. You can email names to SelbyBay@gmail.com.
Thanks and have a great week!
Gooooood Morning Selby!!!
I have a few updates for ya and I hope that everyone will take a moment to look them through.
- 4th of July is coming up and Selby is teaming up with the Legion! The Legion will be parading from it's location through Selby and back to the Legion. It would be FANTASTIC if we could get some tractors, golf carts and bikes together to represent Selby. It would also be FANTASTIC if we could make our own Selby-On-The-Bay banner. Do we have any volunteers to help? We'll probably need a sheet, some paint, and maybe a wooden post to hold on to. The 4th is coming up quickly so we'll have to get going on this one! I think it would be fun to parade behind our very own banner. More people make for quick work!! Melissia Stevens posted details in a prior post. I will post the details on the website so everyone can find them easier. We will be doing our usual small children's parade on the morning of the 4th. If you would like to nominate your son or daughter for King or Queen, then please email me at SelbyBay@gmail.com. King and Queen names will be pulled from a hat by last year's King and Queen.
- July activities are now posted on the Selby calendar available on the website - www.selbyonthebay.org. The calendar will also be posted at the beach on the bulletin board. The Selby Summer Reading Club will continue to meet every Monday evening from 5:00-5:30 for grades Pre-K through 12th. Book lists will be made available, sample books will be available to thumb through and charts will be logged in. Everyone is welcome! A few of July's activities are adventure story writing, fingerprinting, thunderstorms and paper airplane making!
- Selby does have a group on Goodreads called Selby Readers. I am always looking for moderators to lead online book clubs. Please email if you are interested in leading a book club through Goodreads. If we get enough moderators and book groups, then maybe we'll be able to set up monthly book clubs!
Thank you if you have gotten this far! ;)
Good morning Selby!!
I've got a few updates for ya. Ready?
1. We'd like to put up the swim nets on Sunday at 11am. Any helpers? The more hands we have, the quicker they get up. The jellies are already here.
2. I was at the beach the other day and noticed someone with their dog up on the swim platform. Please let me reiterate that dogs are not allowed on the beach or in the swim area or on the swim platforms. Please feel free to let your pup have a swim on the left or right side of the main swim area that is marked off by the swim net pilings.
3. Today we will be making butterfly feeders at the clubhouse at 4pm. We are expecting very strong storms this afternoon. I will be watching the weather closely and the activity will be postponed if there are storms in the area. Postponement will be announced on Facebook, Nextdoor and the website.
4. We have a heat advisory for our area today. Temperatures are expected to soar into the high 90's with the humidity pushing the heat index into the 100's. The heat advisory is in effect from 1pm to 7pm. A heat advisory means "that a period of high temperatures is expected. The combination of high temperatures and high humidity will create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible." Please make sure that animals that are outside have shady spots and plenty of fresh, cold water to drink. PLEASE DO NOT leave pets inside a car. Even with the windows cracked/down the temperatures rise quickly and can be fatal. There is no such thing as "just a minute". Check on elderly neighbors to make sure they have working AC. Limit activity outside.
5. There is a high chance for severe storms this afternoon. Some may carry high winds, hail and threats of yet more tornado warnings. The storms will usher in a cold front making for cooler temps for the next couple days.
I think that's about it for now! Remember, Zumba is tomorrow evening and yoga's last class is Thursday. Looking for folks interested in another yoga session. Yoga is a great, low impact strengthening exercise.
If you would NOT like your property to be sprayed by the county, then please fill out the exempt form and send it in.
MOSQUITO SPRAYING EXEMPT FORM
Mosquito spraying will begin mid-June and Selby will be sprayed once a week by county trucks.
Here is the June edition of the Bay Winds. I apologize for the lateness. June is going by too fast and there was just WAY too much to do! Happy summer Selby!
SCHOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER!!
Join us at the clubhouse at 4:00pm on Thursday, 18 June and celebrate a great school year with a popsicle! Also, learn about the different activities we'll have over the summer in the clubhouse. See ya then!!
Good Morning Selbians,
For those of you with concerns about the mosquito spraying that is scheduled to take place within the next two weeks, here is a little bit of information that was received by Sissy Gheen who is our Roads, Sanitation and Restrictions Chair. She got to thinking about this spray too and went right to the source - the Department of Agriculture. A very nice gentlemen informed her that the spray that they use is about .75 per acre of chemical which is very minimal and the majority of the spray is oil. They spray at night as to not bother insects such as honey bees, ladybugs and butterflies. These insects are very good for the environment and, just like us, find a comfy place to rest at night. They also have a hard exoskeleton which protects them from many things including insecticides. The spray takes about 45 minutes to settle to the ground. By the morning, the spray is gone. I hope this eases the concerns about the spraying. The Selby community has been sprayed for the past 3 years. Being in a marshy environment, especially closer to the beach, the mosquitos can be overwhelming and can carry serious diseases. To reduce the mosquito population on your own property, make sure to dispose of any standing water especially after a rain and change water in birdbaths frequently. Mosquito larvae live in water.
Good afternoon Selby friends,
After a lengthy discussion and review of the outdoors, we have decided to postpone our Selby Tent Village this evening. Our s'mores will keep and we will be on the look out for a more promising and dry evening. Our apologies for any inconveniences. Feel free to stop by the beach and view that strange yellow thing in the sky. The clubhouse will not be open so please don't forget to bring your key fob.