Good Morning Selbians,
I'd like to take a moment to ask a favor of everyone. We are approaching that wonderful time of year when we all head out to Kmart and Target and Office Depot and stock up on the school year ahead. Unfortunately, there are children that aren't privileged enough to do that. I know my kids love new school supplies even if they aren't roused about actually going back to school. I believe it's something all children deserve and it starts them on a new and bright step on the first day back.
Edgewater Books is collecting school supplies to donate to our local schools. They are in desperate need of donations! Do you love office supplies? I do! Do you have kids that are out of school now and have fond memories of school supply shopping? Me and my kids generally have a pretty good time! Would you like to teach your kids how to give back to those who are not so fortunate? How about have your kids make out their own lists on index cards of what they would like to donate and let them pick the items out in the store. Snap a picture in the store and post it on the Edgewater Books Facebook page or here to remind folks to get out there and grab some stuff! This weekend there are bound to be LOADS of sales on school supplies. They are relatively cheap this time of year too. I, personally, stock up for the rest of the year because of the savings!
Selby has a summer reading program meet every Monday from 5:00-5:30. I'll hang around until 6:00 for folks to drop off their supplies. You can also drop off items at Edgewater Books which is located by The Original Steakhouse. Edgewater Books' deadline is the 7th. If you would like to donate, but are not able to make it down to the Selby Community Center on Monday, then please let me know and we can work out something. Here is are the supplies that we are looking for:
Pocket folders (pockets on bottom & 3 prongs)
Plastic pocket folder with prongs
Marble composition books
Primary fat pencils
8-pack box of large, washable markers
White school glue
Box of 24 crayons
Blunt tip scissors
Black, fat dry erase markers
3X3 Post-It sticky notes
Box of 8 colored pencils
Loose leaf notebook paper (wide ruled)
Thank you in advance and I hope to see everyone on Monday evening with all the wonderful donations!!!
Good evening Selby!
First, let me apologize for not taking the time to change the group photo. Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon. Second, here is your weekly update for the week of 5 July.
5:00pm to 5:30pm - Selby Summer Reading Club (always looking for newbies)
7:00pm to the end - SCA/Community Meeting (everyone is welcome)
9:30am to 11:30am - Selby Tots
6:30pm to 7:30pm - Zumba
7:00pm to 9:00pm - Key fobs, parking stickers, boat ramp keys
7:45pm to 9:00pm - Community Center Reservations
11:00am to noon - Science of Thunderstorms (all ages)
* A big thank you to Melissia Wagenfuehr Stevens and the American Legion for putting together the parade through Selby as well as music, games, activities and finally the fireworks! It was a wonderful day and excellent evening!!
* Congrats to this year's King and Queen of the Selby Children's Parade - Chase Bareuther and Chloe Bareuther! We all had a fun time parading around the block and thank you to everyone who came out to see the kids!
* We are planning a Selby party to say goodbye to summer under the full moon in August! The Selby Howl-At-The-Moon will be on 29 August. I will be putting together a Sign Up Genius this week, but right now I'd like to ask if there are any musicians and/or DJs that would like to donate their time and services to the community? If you are interested, then please email SelbyBay@gmail.com. Also, if anyone would like to donate any services or products to auction off that day, then please let me know that as well!
* If you participated in the Writing Adventure Story activity and if you are finished your story and would like for it to be published in the newsletter, then please email it to me at SelbyBay@gmail.com.
* As if we haven't heard enough about sharks...Shark Week on Discovery is this week!!
* Lastly, we haven't had a poll in quite a while. In honor of National Ice Cream Month, what do you prefer - vanilla or chocolate? Results will be posted in the July edition of The Bay Winds.
I believe that's it for this week. Hey! One more thing...please pay attention to stop signs around the neighborhood and leaving the neighborhood.
Happy Independence Day Selby!!
I think that this is Selby’s favorite holiday! Why? FIREWORKS!! There’s a lot going on so I wanted to give everyone a rundown so no one is left out in the cold and we all have a great and safe 4th of July!!
We will have our Selby Children’s Parade at 9:15am beginning at the community center. At 9am, we will pick this year’s Selby King and Queen and they will line up with everyone behind them. Here is our parade route:
- Community Center
- Up first 1st Ave to the right
- Left on Arundel Ave.
- Left on Beach Drive
- Left on Cedar Grove Ave
- Then back down to the beach
We encourage everyone to take a moment to come down to the parade route and cheer on our little ones! I have several nominations for 2015 Selby Queens, but I have no nominations for 2015 Selby Kings. If you would like to nominate your son or daughter for Selby King or Queen, then please email SelbyBay@gmail.com. This year’s King and Queen will be chosen randomly from a hat by last year’s court. The 2015 Selby King and Queen are cordially invited to hold the Selby banner in the parade sponsored by the American Legion that will be parading through Selby.
American Legion Parade
The American Legion is holding an Old Fashioned parade which, sounds to me, like a tradition in the making! The parade will include the Woodland Beach Volunteer Fire Department, Captain American, Mickey Mouse and many others including Selby residents and folks up and down the peninsula!! It’s going to be exciting to be a part of the parade!! I have a Selby banner and encourage everyone to hop to the Legion and participate. I will also bring baggies of lollipops to be handed out to the spectators! The parade line up begins at 11am at the Legion. Here is the parade route:
- The Legion
- Selby Heights
- Right on 8th Ave
- Left on Hillside Ave
- Right on 2nd Ave
- Right on Selby Blvd
- Right on 7th Ave
- Left on Hillside Ave
- Right on 8th Ave
- Selby Heights
- Then back to the Legion
The Legion will be having a DJ, activities, food and games until around 11pm. Fireworks will begin around 8:30pm. It sounds like a great time and the best part is that it is within walking distance!! Go with a group to make it a super fun walk!
Selby Community Center
Since there is so much happening at the Legion, the Selby Community Center will remain CLOSED during the 4th of July holiday. Please remember that fireworks are not permitted at the beach.
Thanks and have a great and safe Independence Day!!