Historical Facts About Our Area
These are little known facts about our area that come from various history books and local historians.
Or what became Maryland, was given to the First Lord Baltimore, George Calvert in 1632 by the King of England, Charles I. George died before he received his charter and it went to his son, the Second Lord Baltimore, Cecilus Calvert. Cecilus Calvert received the charter from the King, but never saw the colony develop before he died - his son inherited it.
Declaration of Independence
Four Marylanders signed the document: William Paca, Thomas Stone, Samuel Chase, Charles Carroll.
Our National Anthem
The "Star Spangled Banner" was written by Francis Scott Key, inspired by our American Flag flying over FortMcHenry in BaltimoreHarbor, after a battle with the British in the War of 1812.
Our State Capital
Was moved from St. Mary's City in southern Maryland to Annapolis in 1695.
Many of the original settlers in our area came over from England on boats as servants to rich Lords and Dukes. They pledged their allegiance for a period of time (usually 7 years) to their master in return for a parcel of their Lord's acreage. Many of these indented servants were tricked and never received the promised freedom and property, but at the time its was probably still better in this new abode. The appeal of the new land, America and the possibility of being able to leave the harsh, restrictive treatment of the Royalty of their mother country was not a tough decision for our forefathers.
Local Materials and Livestock
Used to arrive and leave the MayoPeninsula by the steamboat ferry "Emma Giles" at the old pier that sits at the end of Carr's Wharf Road. Before the advent of cars and the construction of bridges, ferry travel was the best mode of transportation. Ferry service used to run 3 or 4 times a week and ended at Carr's Wharf in 1926. The hotel next to the ferry ramp closed when the ferry discontinued service. The ferry also used to land at the South River Landing at Londontowne Public House.
In 1920, John Letts donated the funds for a purchase of 219 acres off of the RhodeRiver to be used as a permanent resident camp for the YMCA, today that property is still a functioning YMCA camp named after the donor Letts.
Located on old Calawasee Road in Beverly Beach, it was named for an Algonquin Indian Princess Calawasee. Calawasee had been a vacation retreat consisting of five cottages and a lodge when it went up for sale. Calawasee was sold in 1942 and CampWabana was founded by Reverend W. A. Emmans, Pastor of the MarylandAvenueBaptistChurch, and his wife. The pastor had longed searched for a place to begin a camping ministry in the area and Calawasee provided a perfect setting. An interdenominational Christian boys and girls summer camp, it is still going strong today. Wabanna is an acronym for Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis. The camp is located at 101 Likes Road, Mayo, Maryland21106. You can contact camp personnel at (410) 798-0455 or Fax (410) 798-1214.
In the economic resurgence Post WWII era, Beverly Beach, NorthBeach and ChesapeakeBeach were the gambling hot spots of Maryland. As popular as Atlantic City, New Jersey is today, our area was the place to go for seashore fun for the family with slots machines just off of the sand. The old pavilions stood in Beverly Beach for many years after legalized gambling was ended in Maryland, as an eyesore for some while bringing back fond memories for others. The area has been cleaned up and revitalized now, but the pavilion still stands as cover for beach functions.
In as recent as the 1960's, certain ethnic groups were forbidden to use many of our community beaches. As in most parts of the US, Deeds of Title for property sold had wording banning ownership of property by Negroes and Italians. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 leading to an Injunction against racial discrimination at Beverly Beach and the outlawing of slot machines by the General Assembly closed the popular private resort in 1968.
The sailboaters weren't the first to discover the floating residence. In 1932, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Goetz floated their home into SelbyBay by tug-boat on a steel barge. Moving their Baltimore home by water to Selby on the Bay in that era of time must have been a phenomenal feat. The home they loved so much is located on Beach Drive Boulevard at Arundel Avenue in Selby on the Bay.
The Beverly Beach Pennisula
Known for Steiner's Warf, Cadle Creek, Dutchman Point and Saunder's Point this area was named Scrabbletown in 1892. In 1895, it was known as "Jamestown", named by a local schoolteacher for the first English settlement of America in Virginia.
Served as a United States Naval Submarine base during the 1930's and WWII. President Roosevelt docked here once when traveling to visit dignitaries in Annapolis.
Travel to Annapolis
By horse and buggy from the peninsula in 1900 it was an all day ride with ferries and Indian paths to maneuver. Travel by water to Annapolis in those days was much quicker and safer
American Lodge Post 226
Cummings-Behlke Post 226 was first organized in 1947. Named for three local sons that paid the ultimate price in World War II for the freedom that we all take so easily for granted. The post now maintains about 700 active members and it certainly has been a proud part of all of the local communities history for the past 50 years.
Built in 1898 by the Mayo Beneficial Association, or Modern Woodsman's Association. The original builders donated the building to the community association in exchange for life membership. The original association was created to help local families of people who were unable to work and widows of its members to help get along after their passing.
South River High School
Completed in 1978, along with Central Elementary, Special, Middle and the Vocational Tech school, they were part of the largest public educational complex in Maryland. Before 1979, Southern High School ran two shifts (7am-12pm & 12pm-5pm) daily to accommodate all of the local area high school students. The new AnnapolisHigh School opened 1979, moving from the city to its current location in Riva.
Holiday Point Marina
The property where the HolidayPointMarina sits in Selby on the Bay used to be an old tomato cannery. When the Maryland seafood industry took off in the 1940's it was converted to an oyster house to package the widely renowned delicacy. The popularity of Maryland Blue Crabs did not become widespread until better ways to transport them and keep them fresh were developed.
The grand opening of the Annapolis Mall in 1980 marked a beginning of a major economic boom for the City of Annapolis and added great convenience for local shoppers. The previous local shopping megaplex was ParolePlaza, which was closest shopping Plaza from southern Maryland to Severna Park.
Many younger locals may think that the Hardee's on Route 2 was the first franchised fast-food restaurant to our area when it opened in 1979. I bet there are a few locals that remember the first-franchised fast food store to the Edgewater area - Dairy Queen, which used to be where the new Kentucky Fried Chicken is now located. How about Beverly Farms, Collison's, Gatt's Corner Store or Dave's Corner? None were franchises but all were a big part in supplying the area in the 1950-60's expansion of our area.
Before the USA Today there was the old Washington Herald, The Washington Star, and The Evening Capital. In the early 80's the predominant local paper became the Capital, which had dropped the Evening in its title and started printing in color. The Capital is still delivered in the afternoon as it has since its start.
U.S. Naval Academy
The United StatesNavalAcademy opened in 1845. Originally developed from the premier sailing school in the country, the US Government realizes its value in training some of the greatest Naval Commanders in US History.
At the start of the Civil War in 1861 Annapolis was pro-south and state legislators are imprisoned in northern prisons until they swore oath of loyalty to Union.